Sunday, May 20, 2012

We are officially the seniority in the house and it feels pretty weird! It is interesting to see the new girls and realize that it was only us about 2 weeks ago and seeing how much we have learned already. Today I was training a girl and she started asking me who is easiest to feed because she gets nauseous when food falls out of their mouth, I couldn´t help but think what will happen when she has to bathe them ahaha I have also realized that you know you really love a child when they throw up on you twice in one day and you don´t even care hahaha Orvie has been sick so its been pretty sad. I was sooo proud of Laurita today, I had her walk between 2 parallel bars for therapy to get her walking again and she did so well!! Then she just gave me the biggest hug after because she was so proud of herself too haha I have also been making friends with some of the workers which has been a good time. We just attempt to talk and then end up using baby talk on each other to communicate because that´s basically all we know haha! My friend Rosa and I just sing the Jennifer Lopez and Pitbull song together because it is always on the radio when we are feeding the kids. So the Saturday before me and Anna left some friends took us up in the canyon on Cinco de Mayo for our own little fiesta and we kept playing the song "Papa Americano". Yesterday we were all playing soccer and how we play is that each tia(that´s what we call the workers) and all the volunteers grab a wheelchair and we all split up into teams and just go at it. haha all the new volunteers at first think you need to be gentle but no.. if you aren´t agressive you won´t last long.. hahah So anyways we always have music playing when we are outside and all a sudden that song came on. I don´t know why but it was just such a cool moment for me hahah actually being in Ecuador, playing soccer with some of the coolest kids on the earth and just basically lovin life haha. Not to say it isn´t hard sometimes, but I really am happy to be here. Me and Martin are becoming best buds and he always sneaks a kiss on my cheek when I say goodbye hahah Linnea, Anna and I were listening to a conference talk out on the balcony today and it was pretty cool because we just picked a random one from October 2011 conference and it was Uchtdorfs about how without God we are nothing and how he knows and loves us. It was exactly what we needed to hear and not just for ourselves but reassurance that Heavenly Father is and will continue to take care of these kids.Also, if we do make an impact here it will be through him. I had my afternoon shift at Casas and not going to lie it was a nightmare. There were a few times when I just wanted to sit down and cry. ahaha I can´t remember if I have said this before but the orphanage run by nuns called Tadeo Torres feels like you have just walked into the Sound of Music.. and how the kids act is just like that too. When the nuns aren´t in the room they go APE literally they are discipled harshly all day, so when they realize they can take advantage of you, they do. And they also think it´s fun to tell the nuns you did something you really didn´t... hahah like for example I put Carmen to bed and as soon as the nun walks out of the room she starts screaming crying for no reason just to make it look like I did something to her... needless to say Casas is probably my least favorite shift..... hopefully I will grow to love it, I just need some time :) ahah Anyways, just realizing everyday how lucky I am to have the people that I do in my life. LOVE YOU ALLLLL :) Nicole

2 comments:

  1. I love reading these! What an incredible experience :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Nicole! It sounds like things are going well for you. I can't even begin to tell you how jealous I am. I would give anything to go back there! Doing a blog is such a great idea. You can print those out and it can be like a journal for you. ;) Make sure you write in some type of a journal at least once a week. I did and I'm so grateful for that. You have so many experiences, some small, some big but you'll want to remember everything! So don't leave anything out! Cause once you get home you just have memories and you'll never want to forget how those kids made you feel. Keep blogging. I love it! Let me know if you need anything :)

    ReplyDelete